By Norma J. Goodwin, M.D., Founder and President, Health Power
Daily walking is a great form of exercise for many reasons, including the following:
|Walking is good for the body, mind and spirit.|
|Walking helps you to lose weight or keep from gaining more weight.|
|Walking energizes and increases your strength.|
|Walking strengthens your bones, thus fights osteoporosis.|
|Walking tones and strengthens your muscles.|
|Walking keeps your joints more flexible for easy movement.|
|Walking is easy to do (you can walk almost anywhere, by yourself, or with someone).|
|Walking doesn’t cost much (you only need comfortable walking shoes).|
|Walking is often social (if you get a walking buddy or have a walking group).|
|Walking is basically safe (especially if you walk with someone else, or in well-lit areas where others also walk or run).|
|Walking is also healthy for:
|Walking can also be interesting (for sight-seeing, window shopping, light shopping, block walking, talking as you walk with a friend or buddy, and other things that you, or you and your friend(s) enjoy).|
Good places for walking include:
- shopping malls
- school grounds
- your neighborhood
- in a park (with someone else is best)
- for local shopping
Easy ways to do extra walking:
- Use stairways, if safe, instead of elevators if you don’t have heart disease.
- In parking lots, park further away from the entrance, to walk more
- When you take a bus or subway, get off at the stop before the stop where you’re going, so that you’ll have to walk a little further.
- Keep a daily record of what will make you feel best about your progress
- how many times you walked each week
- how many miles you walked each week (Use a pedometer. They don’t cost much.)
- how much weight you lost in a month
- Reward yourself at least once a month, and more often if it helps, even if it’s a small reward. Pick an activity that will be a good reward or celebration for you.
Check out the following Health Power website sections, whose prevention and/or control is made more likely by ‘Walking for the Health of it’:
However, the walking needs to be for at least 30 minutes, 5 days a week. If it’s more convenient, you can do 15 minutes twice a day, or even 10 minutes three times a day.
Remember the Health Power tagline: Knowledge + Action = Power!
To your physical, mental and spiritual health,
Norma J. Goodwin, M.D. – email@example.com