Walking is one of the best exercises of all for health and fitness. Plus, you don’t have to spend a dime, and yet you gain so much. Check out the tips below in addition to those on our Walking for the Health of It Tip Sheet No. 1.
- Exercise at least 5 days a week for 30 minutes. (You can do 10 or 15 minutes at a time).
- Warm up first by stretching and walking slowly for 5 minutes.
- Check your pulse at the wrist once in a while (periodically).
- Choose a specific time of day (or times of day) that works for you, and stick with it.
- Get a Walking Buddy, or start or join a Walking Group.
- Choose a regular place where you can walk.
- Use walking shoes with flexible soles that cushion the feet and absorb shock for the rest of the body.
- Wear the right kind of walking clothes for the season:
– Winter Clothes
– Use layers of clothing to keep out the cold and wind
– Cotton, fleece-lined clothes are good
– Wool or breathable nylon are also comfortable
– Wear warm socks, a sweatshirt with a hood or hat and gloves and a turtle neck to keep all areas of your body covered
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â – Summer Clothes
– Wear cotton or other materials that will allow sweat to evaporate
– Drink plenty of water when the weather’s hot.
– Cool down at the end by:
– Walking slowly for 5 minutes
See also our Walking for the Health of It Tip Sheet No.1, as well as ourHeart/Cardiovascular Disease, Hypertension, Diabetes
Remember the Health Power tagline:Â Knowledge + Action = Power!
To your physical, mental and spiritual health,Â
Norma J. Goodwin, M.D. – email@example.com