Source: National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute
Use 1% milk and a small amount of margarine to make this cornbread lower in saturated fat and cholesterol.
- Preheat oven to 350o F.
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk and egg. Beat lightly.
- Slowly add buttermilk and egg mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Add margarine and mix by hand or with a mixer for 1 minute.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in an 8 by 8-inch greased baking dish. Cool. Cut into 10 squares.
Per Serving: Serving Size: 1 square, Calories 178, Fat 6 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 22 mg, Sodium 94 mg