Source: Constance Brown-Riggs
¼ cup all purpose flour
3 cups low sodium, low fat chicken broth
1 pound chicken breast, skinless and boneless cut into
½ inch pieces
½ cup yellow onion
¼ cup celery chopped
4 cloves garlic minced
2 scallions chopped
1 whole bay leaf
2 teaspoons thyme, ground
2 teaspoons jalapeno pepper
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
2 teaspoons gumbo file
2 teaspoons gravy master
½ cup okra
- Preheat oven to 400oF.
- Add oil to small pot, stir in flour.
- Place in oven, stirring constantly until flour begins to turn golden brown.
- Take pot out of oven and continue preparation on top of the stove.
- Slowly stir in broth using wire whisk and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add all ingredients except okra. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add okra and let cook for 15 to 20 additional minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve hot in bowl alone or over rice.
Per serving: Calories 170, Calories from Fat 70, Total Fat 8g, Saturated Fat 2g, Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 240mg, Total Carbohydrate 6g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Protein 18g