A huge chunk of celebrities are of African-American and Hispanic origin. And these extremely talented and beautiful people are loved and admired by millions. However, we should not idolize them. Thinking of them as flawless demigods is definitely the wrong perception because they have their shares of worries and problems.
Breaking the Silence
Sometimes it is difficult to imagine these celebrities ever suffering from health issues. Yet, even the most popular and loved celebrities sometimes are suffering from serious health concerns and we may not even know about them, unless they come up on television and talk about them.
Some of the African-American and Hispanic celebrities are brave enough to come up and share the problems they are facing publicly. They do so to break certain health stigmas and increase public awareness.
The Health Issues They Face
Celebrities are always in the limelight and their every move is scrutinized and judged. This can take a toll on their mental health. So it is no surprise that so many of the celebrities suffer from various kinds of mental issues.
- Depression is the most common mental health issue that the African-American and Hispanic celebrities face. There have been so many instances where these celebrities have had to face cyber bullying which causes serious issues.
- Stress is another major health issue for many celebrities. It may seem like all fun and games, but celebrities work in very stressful conditions. They work long hours and get very little sleep.
- Bipolar Disorder – Some celebrities of African and Hispanic descent suffer from bipolar disorder. They suffer from cycles of depression and mania, resulting in mood swings which can negatively affect their careers.
- Border line Personality Disorder is another mental illness that is very misunderstood, but there are celebrities suffering from this serious mental illness. The celebrities suffering from this issue may seem to act out emotions in a controlled way on screen but in their real life, have serious issues controlling their emotions.
- Anorexia is also a common problem among females. The celebrities coming out on screens make it worse for them to cope with this illness.
Other serious Diseases
Celebrities do not only suffer mental issues but also suffer from other serious illnesses as well.
- Lupus is a serious health issue faced by Hispanic and African-American celebrities. This disease has affected the kidneys like Nick Cannon and Selena Gomez.
- A famous celebrity like Halle Berry has diabetes.
- Seizures and Epilepsy are other common diseases that celebrities like Lil Wayne suffer from.
- Montel Williams is well known to have multiple sclerosis.
- Venus Williams also has Sjogren’s syndrome.
Remember the Health Power motto: Knowledge + Action = Power!