Yoga breathing techniques were developed based on the concept that breath is the source of life. In Yoga, students gain breathing control as they slowly increase their focus on breathing. By focusing on their breathing, they prepare their minds for meditation.
Tai Chi, a Chinese martial art, is often practiced to promote health and longevity. Its training forms are well known as the slow motion routines that groups of people practice together every morning in parks around the world, especially in China. Medical studies of Tai Chi support its effectiveness as an alternative exercise and a form of martial arts therapy. Tai Chi chuan is considered a soft style martial art – an art applied with internal power to distinguish its theory and application from that of hard martial arts. There are many different styles of Tai Chi but most modern schools trace their development to the system originally taught by the Chen family to the Yang family starting in 1820.
Health Benefits of Tai Chi
Tai Chi is used to:
- Reduce stress
- Increase flexibility
- Improve muscle strength and definition
- Increase energy, stamina and flexibility
- Increase feelings of well-being
Researchers have found that long-term tai chi practice also has some favorable, but not statistically significant, effects in promoting balance control, flexibility and cardiovascular fitness, and in reducing the risk of falls by elderly patients. More information on Tai Chi is provided on the Health Power website by clicking here.
Massage means the treatment and practice of manipulating or handling and shaping the soft body tissues of the body for physical, medical and in some cases, emotional purposes. During a massage, a therapist uses pressure and/or vibration to target certain parts of the body. Massage can be applied with the hands, fingers, elbows, forearm, fists and feet. It can be performed by such health professionals as physical therapists, occupational therapists, and massage therapists.The following things generally happen when one has a massage:
– The person who is to receive the massage first answers a few questions about the reason for the massage, and about the person’s physical condition. That’s because although massage is usually safe, there can be a risk of injury with some conditions;
– Then, the clothing is removed and replaced with a robe or towel. However, with a chair massage, the clothing is usually not removed;
– One then lies down comfortably, often with background music playing;
– Oils and/or lotions are put on the body; and
– One experiences relaxation. There should be no significant pain from a message. If pain is being felt, one should let the massage therapist know.
The typical massage lasts about an hour, but some may last up to 90 minutes. The person receiving the massage usually has to pay for it, and the price varies widely depending on a variety of massage types.