- An increase in specialized fitness programming for older adults.
- Simple exercise habits, such as a walk-a-day, remain popular.
- Employers are encouraging fitness and weight loss.
- Blend popular mind-body programs such as yoga and Pilates with more traditional forms of exercise.
Source: American Council on Exercise (www.acefitness.org)
- Why Warm up Before Exercising
- Stretching Before Exercising
- Standing and Stretching
- Stretching on the floor or bed
|How Many Calories Different Activities Burn Off|
|Exercise||Intensity||Approximate Intensity Level||Calories Burned/Hour|
ARE YOU MOVING YET? Check this out
- Thin people move more in their daily lives (The Washington Post Jan.27 2005)
- They do not sit still, they bend, stand, and walk with greater frequency.
So let’s get moving!
• While watching TV, using the computer, or reading, stand every 20 minutes
• Walk around the house often, & don’t sit more than 1 hour without getting up
• Do stairs – 1 or 2 flights
• Stretch? and/or reach to the sky
• Reach to the floor
• Sweep, vacuum, mop and rake if possible
• Walk for errands
• Get off the bus or subway a stop before your stop
• Sit in a chair – then get up and sit down – and repeat this 10 times
• As you become more active, do more to become still more active.