Quit Smoking Tip Sheet 5 – How to Help Friends Quit Smoking
- Don’t lecture your friend on the dangers of smoking. Most smokers are already aware of them.
- Discuss with the smoker (listen more than you talk) his or her real desire to quit, and why. Then make a list, and both of you should keep a copy.
- Develop a quitting plan with your friend, including a date to start the plan, and a quit date.
- Make yourself available for daily contact – in person or on the phone – to give support and encouragement whenever needed.
- Volunteer to spend time with the smoker and plan activities that the two of you want to do to help him or her avoid the temptation to smoke.
- If possible, become a walking buddy because walking is:
- Easy to do
- Stress reducing
Additional Quit Smoking Tip Sheets
A CDC guide to help African Americans quit, produced under the leadership of Dr. Robert G. Robinson, a Health Power Editor and Advisor