Practice “The Smart Diet” to Live Longer!
- Eat less fat and cholesterol
- Eat less salt or sodium
- Eat more fiber
- Eat less sugar
- If you drink alcoholic beverages, limit your intake (no more than two drinks a day)
Here’s more information about Smart Diet Practices.
Eating Less Fat and Cholesterol
Saturated fats raise your cholesterol level more than anything else in your diet.
They are found primarily in animal products such as:
- fatty meats
- cold cuts
- poultry skin
- ice cream
Cooking Smart is Cooking Good.
- Instead of frying foods:
- boil and
- microwave them.
- Trim all visible fat from meats before cooking them.
- Use low fat milk (l% or 2%) or skim milk instead of whole milk.
- Cook and eat mostly fruits and vegetables, and limit foods that come from animals.
- olive oil
- corn oil
- sunflower oil
- soybean oil
- saturated fats
- coconut oil
- Cook without salt and use little if any salt at the table. Also avoid:
- meat tenderizer
- soy sauce
- For sauces, dips, and dressings, try low-fat or no-fat plain yogurt, and buttermilk or blended cottage cheese instead of mayonnaise and sour cream.
- Use unsaturated fat instead of saturated fat.
- To help limit your sodium intake, use onion and garlic powder instead of onion and garlic salt. In fact, fresh onion and garlic are best.
Shopping Smart: Another piece of the puzzle to good health:
- “Stick with the (our) program”: Eat 5-A Day [fruits and vegetables]. That’s the best way.
- Always Read Food Labels. You can’t tell what’s in most foods by looking at them. Be sure to look for the word, INGREDIENTS. They tell you what’s in that product. The contents are listed in the order of their amount or weight. For example, there is more of the first item listed, the second item listed has the next largest amount and so ondown to the last ingredient, of which there is the smallest amount. Therefore, always concentrate on the first two or three ingredients. However, be sure to read them all.
- Shop for fresh instead of canned foods.
- When buying canned fish, be sure it’s packed in water, and not oil.
- Limit your purchase of bakery items and cake mixes because they are high in fat and sodium.
We’ll bring this tip sheet to an end so that you can focus on practicing these tips, instead of getting too much information at once.