Three (3) meals a day are best for physical health and mental alertness.
FOR BREAKFAST: Try the following tasty LOW FAT choices:
- Cereal with low-fat milk, especially oat and wheat cereals
- Whole wheat toast with preserves
- Grapefruit or cantaloupe – half is good
- Whole wheat pancakes with fresh fruit
FOR LUNCH: Make the following substitutions:
- Mustard instead of mayonnaise on your sandwiches
- Turkey instead of bologna, corn beef or pastrami
- Diet margarine instead of butter, and make it soft instead of the stick variety
Be sure to spend part of your lunch hour walking.
WHEN YOU EAT OUT: Choose from the following:
- Salads with low calorie dressing (some dressings are very high in calories)
- Baked potatoes
- Grilled chicken
- Junior or single-size burgers (and skip the cheese)
- Also skip the super size fries and soda
DON’T Forget: Eat at least 5 fruits and vegetables every day, and make them fresh whenever possible.
Visit the Fitness Branch of our Food and Fitness Channel for information and tips related to regular physical activity, which is also an important part of weight control. Remember the basic weight control formula:
Calories in = Calories out. In other words, to avoid weight gain, a person must burn off as many calories as they eat on a regular basis.
*(1) This Health Power Tip Sheet can only be reproduced to share with others for health educational purposes; (2) The contents should not be altered in any way; and (3) All provisions related to the use of materials at the bottom of each web site page also apply.