It helps you to:
- Look good and feel better.
- Feel stronger and have more energy.
- Keep your weight and blood pressure down.
No matter how old you are, it’s never too late to get in shape.
How to Become More Active:
Since physical activity should be fun, find an activity you like and then, just do it!
Your choices include:
- Riding a bike – outdoors or a stationary bike
- Walking up stairs
- Playing sports
- Anything else that keeps you moving
How to Make Physical Activity a Part of Every Day
Include more physical activity in what you do on a regular basis. For example:
- You can walk more if you’re not physically challenged, or handicapped.
- Even if you use a wheel chair, you may be able to wheel yourself, or wheel yourself more.
- Stretch or walk around once in awhile while you’re watching TV or using the computer.
- Take the stairs instead of riding elevators, if it’s safe.
- When going food shopping, or other shopping, park further away than you do now, so that you will have to walk more going from and to your car.
- When taking a bus or subway, get off a few blocks before your stop and walk the rest of the way.
Be Active at Home and in the Community:
- You don’t have to go to a health club or gym to get in shape.
- You don’t have to buy expensive equipment to get in shape.
- All you need is the desire to look better, feel better, and be healthier.
Why? Because where there’s a will, there’s a way.
By the way, if you have the space and can afford a stationary bike or treadmill at home, they are often helpful. Also, they don’t cost as much as they used to.
Do Physical Activities with Family and Friends, if possible.
It’s easier to stay active when you do it with other people. Talk to family members and friends about your desire to be more active and ask them to do the following:
- Agree to doing certain things with you that you both enjoy.
- Help you identify other activity buddies if they say they’re too busy.
- Encourage you .
How Much Activity Is Best?