Are you a smoker and want to quit smoking? Thinking about quitting? Well this may be the best time for you to quit. The American Cancer Society Great American Smokeout is the perfect starting point.
Setting a date to quit is an important step toward protecting your health and the health of your loved ones. The American Cancer Society Great American Smokeout encourages smokers to make a plan to quit, or to plan in advance and quit smoking on a specific day. This year, the 43rd annual Great American Smokeout will be held on November 15 and will encourage the 36.5 million adults in the U.S. who smoke cigarettes to quit. When you plan to quit smoking during the Great American Smokeout, you are celebrating this day with millions of other smokers across the nation who also want to quit. Smokers who have support are more likely to quit for good!
Support can come in many way, such as:
- Telephone smoking-cessation hotlines
- Stop-smoking groups
- Online quit groups
- Nicotine replacement products
- Prescription medicine to lessen cravings
- Guide books
- Encouragement and support from friends and family members
Five Ways to Get Ready to Quit Smoking
- Set a quit date.
- Tell your family and friends about your quit plan.
- Be prepared for challenges, before your quit day, write down healthy ways to cope. Such as, drink more water, exercise, listen to your favorite music, text or call a friend.
- Remove cigarettes and other tobacco from your home, car, and workplace.
- Talk to your pharmacist, doctor, or quitline coach about quit options.
You Can Do It!
Many smokers quit smoking for many reasons, they want to live a healthier life, live longer, or save the money the would have spent on cigarettes. Whatever your reason is to quit smoking, making the decision to quit can help you realize and appreciate your own determination! You have the strength and support it takes to quit smoking for good.
The support provided by the American Cancer Society Great American Smokeout doesn’t end when the day is over. The following free resources can help you quit:
- 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669)
- 1-855-DÉJELO-YA (1-855-335-3569)
- Tips From Former Smokers
- Quit Tobacco
- Help for Smokers and Other Tobacco Users (booklet)[178 KB]
- American Cancer Society—The Great American Smokeout
Remember the Health Power motto: Knowledge + Action = Power!