Watch the Alcohol: Why??
Possible Negative Effects of Drinking Alcohol include:
- Decreased normal inhibitions, which leads to people often doing things they wouldn’t normally do;
- Possible anger, depression, anxiety, arguments, and even violence after drinking heavily;
- Increased risk of being involved in an accident if one drives while intoxicated.
Times When You Are at Greater Risk of Drinking Too Much:
- During holiday celebrations of all kinds because people tend to drink more than usual;
- When alcohol is served at parties and other special events;
- When alcohol is part of eating out, and at parties and other social events at home.
Tips for Safer Drinking:
- If you know you have a drinking problem, skip the alcohol in your drinks, and no one needs to know.
- If you drink alcohol, moderation is key!
It’s generally no more than two drinks a day for a man and one drink a day for a woman. These amounts cannot be saved from one day to another.
What Equals a Drink of Beer, Wine and Liquor?
- A 12-ounce bottle or can of beer
- A 5-ounce glass of wine
- A shot (1 ounce) of liquor, straight or in a mixed drink
If you drink, don’t drive! If you are in a group be sure that there is a designated driver.
Special Tip for Pregnant Women:
- Avoid all alcoholic drinks because drinking during pregnancy can harm your developing fetus and cause congenital defects. Learn more about the fetal alcohol syndrome from Health Power’s web site.
Tips to Control Calories from Drinking:
- For mixed drinks, ask for club soda, tonic water, diet sodas, and diet mixers where available, instead of drink sweeteners and syrups.
- Make your wine into a spritzer (wine and club soda mixed)
- For eggnog, that popular and delicious holiday drink, limit the amount. It’s also good to mix equal parts of eggnog and skim milk. It’s still delicious and you cut the calories almost in half.
- Make your beer, ale, or lager into a shandy, which is mixed with ginger ale, another soda (diet soda is best), or lemonade.
- Choose low alcohol beer instead of regular beer.
Number of Calories from Different Alcohol Containing Drinks
|Drinks||Approximate No. of Calories||Approximate Serving Size|
|Apple Martini||150 Calories||cocktail glass|
|Beer (Regular)||102 Calories||8 oz glass|
|Beer (Low Alcohol)||44 Calories||7 oz glass|
|Champagne||200 Calories||8 oz glass|
|Cosmopolitan||150 Calories||cocktail glass|
|Eggnog||618 Calories (with alcohol)||8 oz glass|
|Long Island Ice Tea||600 Calories||8 oz glass|
|Manhattan||130 Calories||cocktail glass|
|Margarita||350 Calories||6 oz glass|
|Pina Colada||560 Calories||7 oz glass|
|Rum, Vodka, or Whiskey||82 Calories||per shot|
|Scotch||107 Calories||per shot|
|Standard or average cocktail||365 Calories||cocktail glass|
|Wine||100 Calories||8 oz glass|
|Wine Cooler||230 Calories||8 oz glass|