By Norma J. Goodwin, M.D., President, Health Power
Begin “Getting in Shape” to limit your weight gain, with the Holiday Season already underway, with a focus on shopping, and more eating and drinking already underway.
Believe it or not, physical activity is one of the best things for you. Reasons why:
It helps you to:
- Look good and feel better.
- Feel stronger and have more energy.
- Keep your weight and blood pressure down.
No matter how old you are, it’s never too late to get in shape, and below we’ve included some fitness tips to help you do so.
How to Become more active:
Since physical activity should be fun, find an activity you like and then, just do it!
Your choices include:
- Riding a bike – outdoors or a stationary bike
- Walking up stairs
- Playing sports
- Anything else that keeps you moving
Tips to Make Physical Activity a Part of Every Day
Include more physical activity in what you do on a regular basis. For example:
- You can walk more if you’re not physically challenged, or handicapped.
- Even if you use a wheel chair, you may be able to wheel yourself, or wheel yourself more.
- Stretch or walk around once in awhile while you’re watching TV or using the computer.
- Take the stairs instead of riding elevators, if it’s safe.
- When going food shopping, or other shopping, park further away than you do now, so that you will have to walk more going from and to your car.
- When taking a bus or subway, get off a few blocks before your stop and walk the rest of the way.
Be Active at Home and in the Community because Where There’s a Will, There’s a Way:
- You don’t have to go to a health club or gym to get in shape.
- You don’t have to buy expensive equipment to get in shape.
- All you need is the desire to look better, feel better, and be healthier.
4. If you have the space at home and can afford a stationary bike or treadmill, they are often helpful. Also, they don’t cost as
much as they used to.
Do Physical Activities with Family and Friends, if possible.
It’s easier to stay active when you do it with other people. Talk to family members and friends about your desire to be more active and ask them to do the following:
- Agree to doing certain things with you that you both enjoy.
- Help you identify other activity buddies if they say they’re too busy.
- Encourage you.
How Much Activity Is Best?
It’s best to do your favorite physical activity at least 5 times a week for at least 30 minutes each time. If it’s more convenient, however, the 30 minutes can be split into two 15-minute periods.
If you’re over 40 years of age or have had a medical problem in the past,check with your doctor before starting new physical activities.
1. Check the Fitness Branch of the “Food & Fitness Channel” of our Health Power website for more fitness tips (See under Special Channels – – at www.healthpowerforminorities.com).
2. Before you leave this blog post, give us a Facebook Like (above), and Follow us on Twitter.
Remember: Knowledge + Action = Power!®: