Source: The President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition on The Effects of Obesity in America
- Eating right and keeping active are important to EVERYONE regardless of age, background or ability.
- Currently about 1 in 3 adults in the United States are obese and almost 1 in 5 children and adolescents are obese.
- If things don’t change, 1/3 of all children born in (or after) 2000 may suffer from diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer and asthma as a result of becoming obese.
- Overweight or obese children may never be able to achieve a healthy weight as adults. Up to 70% of obese teens may become obese adults.
- Obesity has doubled in the US since the early 1970’s.
- Obesity impacts personal finance as well of those who are obese since the medical costs of obese persons are $1,429 (or about 42% more) than those of normal weight on average.
- Nationally, the annual direct costs of childhood obesity are $14.3 billion.
- By being active 30 minutes for adults and 60 minutes for children 5 days a week as well as healthy eating, you will experience positive health benefits, and be on the path for a better future.
- On average, children spend 7 hours/day before a computer or other screen.
- 1 in 4 young children eat fast food daily.
Content from: http://www.fitness.gov/be-active/why-is-it-important/
The http://healthfinder.gov/NH)/May Toolkit.aspx provides sample tweets and other useful information.
Much additional useful information can be found in the following Health Power areas:
Healthy and Delicious Recipes in the Food and Fitness Channel
Remember: Knowledge + Action = Power! ®
Norma J. Goodwin, MD, Founder and President, Health Power